It is that time of the year again when you thank your mother for everything she did to help you achieve greatness in life. Yes, its mother's day and you need to do something special this year. Cards, bouquets and presents are almost a ritual; think of a gesture which will help show that you actually care for her: write an ode, sing a song or just fix a special home-cooked dinner for her. While the first two need a different set of creative skills, we can definitely help you with the third one. Even when the last time you tried cooking and almost burned down the whole house, worry not, this time it will be a lot easier, and safer. Believe us, the recipes we have for you are so simple and foolproof that you won't have any troubles accomplishing the task. And thinking of dinner, leg of lamb serves a great main course for a mother's day meal. So here are a few recipes to prepare lamb; you can choose any of these.
Roasted Lamb Leg Recipe
Recipe # 1
Roasted Leg of Lamb is a hot favourite with non-vegetarians. It is also one of the traditional Mother's day dinner recipes.
Roast Leg Of Lamb Recipe
- 6 lb - Leg of lamb, well trimmed
- 5 ea- Cloves Garlic (Peeled and thinly sliced)
- 20 ea- Small sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 20 ea- Small sprigs fresh Sage
- 1/4 cup -Olive oil
- 1 x -Salt and Pepper
- Take a sharp pointed and make thin, deep slits all over the leg of lamb; insert the garlic slivers and herb sprigs into those slits.
- Sprinkle the leg of lamb with olive oil, salt and pepper. Let it soak at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the leg of lamb on a rack set in a roasting pan, and cook for one hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes before carving.
Recipe # 2
- 2 cloves Garlic, cut into slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 leg of lamb
- 2 tsp fresh Basil, chopped
- Coarse Black Pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh Rosemary, chopped or fresh summer savoury
- Preheat the oven at 325°f.
- Meanwhile, take a shallow pan and carefully place the leg of lamb, with its fat side up, into it.
- Then with the help of a sharp knife make a few even slits deep inside the surface of the leg of lamb. Slither garlic slivers inside these slits.
- Now take a lemon and squeeze it over the leg of lamb. Rub the juice on it simultaneously so that the juice is absorbed.
- Now sprinkle the meat with basil, rosemary, salt and pepper or the other herb preparation, whichever is available to you.
- Rub the seasoning over the lamb whilst you sprinkle the above things on it.
- The leg of lamb is now prepared to be roasted. Place it inside the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes per pound.
- After it is done, leave the lamb inside the oven for at least 15 and outside for 10 more minutes before carving it.
Recipe # 3
- 1/3 cup plain Yogurt
- 1/8 cup fresh Lime juice
- 1/3 tablespoon minced fresh Garlic
- 1/3 tablespoon grated Lime zest
- 1/3 tablespoon grated fresh Ginger
- 2/3 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Coriander
- 1/3 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/3 teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon Clove
- 1/16 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 to taste Black pepper
- 1 (2 -2 1/3 lb) bone-in whole Leg of Lamb
- Take all the ingredients, except the leg of lamb, and mix them in a big bowl. Stir continuously for some time so that an even and rich mixture is formed.
- Now put the lamb in a pan and coat it with the mixture which you have prepared.
- Cover the leg of lamb with cling film and remember not to cover it with foil.
- Then refrigerate this for 24 hours so that it marinates properly.
- After marinating the leg of lamb you need preheat the oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Uncover the lamb and roast for 1 and a half hour at 125 degree Fahrenheit, use a cooking thermometer to keep a check on temperature.
- Leave the lamb for another fifteen minutes before you carve it.