The celebration of mother's day seems incomplete without tasting a bit of pie. And, when talking about pies, a thought of mouth watering shepherds pie is obvious. So, why don't you try classic shepherd's pie on this mother's day and express your unceasing love and care to your mom? Have a list of ingredients prepared, jump into neighbouring grocery store, arrange for preparatory materials and head straight towards kitchen, stepping in your mom's shoes. Give her this sweet surprise by putting in all your efforts in its preparation and present it in the evening, making the day most memorable one for her. Though, most of the shepherd's pie recipes have animal food contained, you can go for healthy vegetarian shepherd's pie which is equally appreciated and picked by vegan families. Here, we are providing you with recipes of classic shepherd's pie as well as vegetarian shepherd's pie. Pick any as per your choice and make this mother's day most special for your mum. Here it goes!
How To Make Shepherds Pie For Mother's Day
Classic Shepherds Pie
Shepherds pie is an all out hit for every occasion and mother's day is no exception to it. Try out these easy shepherds pie recipes to prepare this mother's day.
Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 500g Minced Lamb
- 800g Potatoes
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 large Onion
- 60ml Milk
- 30g Butter
- 50g Cheddar (Mature)
- 200ml Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Flour (plain)
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme (dried)
- Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mk 6, 400°F). Dice the onion and carrot. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and carrot. Fry for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the onion is lightly browned. Meanwhile, skin quarter and boil the potatoes in water until softened.
- Add the minced lamb to the onion and carrot and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the flour. Add the beef stock, rosemary, thyme and tomato puree. Season with black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk until smooth. Grate the cheddar and mix into the potato with a pinch of salt.
- Check the lamb for seasoning, adding salt if necessary (be careful with the salt as your beef stock will already contain salt). Spoon the lamb into a baking dish, and cover with the mashed potato. Use a fork to draw ridges across the top if desired.
- Bake the shepherd's pie for 35 - 40 minutes until the potato is lightly browned.
- You can use minced beef in this recipe instead of lamb to make cottage pie.
- If you want the top of the shepherd's pie to be browned more, put a little butter on top of the potato.
Creamy Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
- 1 diced Carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced small Broccoli
- 1/2 cup finely cut Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup green Beans
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 4 tbsp Margarine
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Vegetable Soup
- 2/3 cup Milk or Soymilk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Sage
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- 4 finely sliced Potatoes
- 1/4 cup Soy or regular Yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (Not mandatory)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all vegetables and steam to instil tenderness.
- Take steamed veggies, 2 tbsp of margarine, flour, vegetable soup soy milk and sage in a large saucepan. Heat the batter for few minutes. You will find sauce solidifying.
- Now, add pinch of salt and pepper and mix well. Keep it aside to settle.
- In another utensil, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain and mash them mixing with 2 tbsp of margarine, yogurt and cheese.
- Put the vegetables in a large baking dish. On the top of vegetables place the potato mixture. If you want, you can put extra parmesan cheese on the top.
- Bake the mixture for next 30 to 40 minutes. Switch off the oven when it is properly baked. You will find it turning into light golden colour.
- Your delicious creamy vegetarian shepherd's pie is ready to serve.